Sunday, June 15, 2014

Chrysalis tarot – My First reading!

Yesterday I've received my copy of the Chrysalis Tarot in the mail. I was pleasantly surprised because I’d expected it to arrive on a  much later date. In this post I am not going to write about the beautiful artwork, the warm color palette, the magical charm of the depictions, the great quality of the cardstock and the beautiful matte finish. Instead I will just jump in with a small reading! I've seen this deck on other blogs so I was prepared for the differences between this deck and the Rider-Waite system. At first I was hesitant to purchase it. Would I be open minded enough to read with this deck? When it arrived, I decided in advance I would let the deck do the talking. I wouldn't try to find similarities between this deck and the RW system, which weren't intended by the creators.
Then I drew the first card as the main characteristic of this deck: 


Sun:
We see a Sun with a tear on his cheek. The Sun is a card of confidence and optimism. The keyword from the LWB is Empowerment. I think when I am going to read with this deck and let it speak to me in its own language, I can  expect a great deal of empowerment and a boost of confidence for my intuitive reading skills. Also, I feel this card  is showing me the warm and loving energy of this deck.

The next two cards are adding some more information to this reading.
The Companion:
I don’t have to do this alone. The deck has  a troupe  of guides for your journey and this King of Spirals will accompany me while exploring the Chrysalis Tarot. When I feel stuck he will show me which way to go. It seems he is a bit pushy, sometimes arrogant (fire) but that is tempered by the little laughing bird
Nine of Spirals:
The winds of change. How apt for such a new approach to tarot. New winds can be refreshing and stir things up. The keyword for this card is perseverance. So when I encounter difficulties I will  be motivated to continue working with this deck

In my opinion three great cards to sum up some of the wonderful aspects of this deck. I am looking forward reading with it and getting to know it on a more in depth level.

10 comments:

  1. I'll be interested to see how you work with this deck. I've watched Elendil use it on his blog, and though he did fine with it, I couldn't wrap my brain around it. The artwork is gorgeous, but the deck is so far from tradition (including the card titles) that I think it would frustrate me. Though I suppose I could try to read it like an oracle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it will be a challenge to step out of my comfort zone and step away from the RW system. I saw this deck for the first time on Rowan's blog and the court cards annoyed me instantly. This reaction surprised me. Am I that rigid??? Perhaps it will become a blend of Oracle (new meanings) and tarot (structure of a tarot deck) :D

      Delete
    2. It is good that you are allowing yourself to play with the deck. But there is also nothing wrong with liking tradition. 'Rigid' sounds rather judgmental of yourself. You are allowed to like what you like. Be gentle! :D

      Delete
    3. You are so right! Thanks Eowyn! I often forget to be more gentle with myself.
      Perhaps it was more my apprehension of leaving my comfort zone what struck me
      I can assure you I am still head over heels with my original Rider Waite and its cousins

      Delete
  2. What a lovely reading. I have yet to dive into this deck - I'm not sure I have the time right now to give it the space it deserves. It's interesting, Eowyn saying to be gentle with yourself, as there is something gentle about that Sun with the teardrop...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right; this deck deserves a lot of love and attention (as do I :)) The guidebook says the sun sheds a tear because so many of us neglect the beauty of life. So being touched by this gentle tear is a great reminder to be kind for myself

      Delete
  3. Delicious artwork. What a wonderful image that 9 of Spirals is!

    Like many, I'd say it is not-for-me-right-now .. but it is certainly special. Look forward to reading more of your posts with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first saw the art work I was amazed, Then I learned about the substantial differences between this deck and the RW and I was put of instantly. I've bought it as challenge for myself to become more flexible with my readings and I LOVE it. Just letting go of all my preconceived notions of tarot and jump right in. It is a bit like what we are doing with the Hidden Realm Tarot. Only this deck has much more symbolism to read with

      Delete
  4. How is the card stock quality of this cards??? Are they sturdy? And will last for years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The card stock is average. How long they will last depends on how your handling them and how often you'll work with them.:)

      Delete